Tuesday 8 March 2011

Waiting, just waiting.

On Monday we were hoping, perhaps naively that my credit card would have arrived in the mail from the UK.  But they didn't arrive – so we booked another night at the hostel hoping that they would arrive the day after.  They didn't. By Tuesday afternoon I was a teary mess – tired and cranky, snapping at Bernard for no reason and unable to enjoy my time in BA. Both Bernard and I didn't want to be here any more – we wanted to be in Brazil and the waiting was starting to drive us both bonkers.

Today has been much the same.  Waiting.  Just waiting for each day's morning post.  Then knowing the outcome of the post, making plans for the rest of the day, the night's accommodation, how to fill in our afternoons between checking out of one hostel (full) into another (nearby). There could be worse places to spend a week – this we both acknowledge – but it is so hard to enjoy somewhere when you so desperately want to be somewhere else. So we're making the best of it – I've been revising my spanish nearly every day – not that I'm speaking that much of it. We go out for 2 hour walks every day (some days we'll walk for hours); Bernard's been watching champion's league matches on TV (go Spurs – Lennon/Crouch goal against AC Milan was superb).  We bought some DVDs from a guy off the street and 1 out of the 3 was in English – even though it was thoroughly disappointing (the latest with Depp/Jolie). I watched the King's Speech in Spanish – I think I got the jist of it. We continue to enjoy the Argentine meals and our regular San Telmo parrilla hasn't disappointed.

Tomorrow morning I wake up early to speak to my father before his long overdue shoulder surgery. I think of people at home a lot –my grandparents especially and of Bernard and my forthcoming wedding. Hard not to when we've been bumping into couples who are engaged or have just got married. Talk inevitably goes to wedding plans. Too much time you see – I have too much time on my hands to just think. Not good.  I'm hoping my next entry will an ecstatic “we're on our way to Brazil – yay!!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment