Tuesday 3 May 2011

Cusco – birthday antics and friends

We arrived back in Cusco on Easter Sunday, the same day as my dear friend Mark Nisbett arrived in town with his parents and our friend Julie Barnes. It was just wonderful seeing people we knew so well. And Mark came with a care package of all sorts of things we needed from the UK which was greatly appreciated. My Wild Rose Beauty Balm from Neal's Yeard (they should pay me for this) is heavenly!!! 

That night I went to Easter mass at San Blass church – the service was entirely in Spanish but was exactly the same as catholic services from home that I said all the right responses in English, much to the amusement of those around me. I took the Gideon's bible with me from the hotel (as it was in English) which was handy. I was mightily amused when Bernard told me later that somebody had stolen the bible from the room – it was a favourite hiding spot of his. It didn't occur to him that I might take it with me to church.

Afterwards I caught up with Mark and Julie B. We went out to dinner every night they were in Cusco but consumed a restrained number of alcoholic beverages given the altitutde. Although in altitude it really dosn't take much to bring on a hangover. On the 25th we had a special dinner to celebrate my birthday on the 26th which was just lovely and we stayed out until 12.30am which is impressive for me. During the days we went to visit various Inca ruins around town and soak up the last of Cusco's offerings. I even had an interesting time getting my legs waxed. It took such a long time and was painful enough for me to ask her to stop after an hour and half. Procedure done correctly, just wrong type of wax for the altitude etc. Lost in translation methinks. Eventually, after eight days in Cusco (in total) it was time for us to leave – we headed north whilst Mark etc headed off to do the Inca Trail. Fantastic catch up, and can't wait to see Mark again in April 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment