Thursday 2 June 2011

Apologies for absence in writing

I write this blog for my own purposes, but also to let friends/family know of my travels.  Given I have had such a prolonged absence from writing, I must admit to others and to myself that May was an emotional month for me.  I have been terribly homesick for England - especially so since parting ways with Mark back in Cusco. Everything kept me thinking of the UK - the Royal Wedding, people I met on the road, Harry Potter (!!!), even my dreams were full of England.  So I avoided emails and internet for some time.  Instead I buried myself in wedding planning and trying to enjoy being on the road.

Colombia soothed with its friendly locals and wonderful travelling without being saturated with extranjeros (foreigners).  Even still, I started to hint to Bernard that I am getting tired of travelling and want to go back to Australia sooner than later. About two weeks later, Bernard his this plateau in his enthusiasm and we decided to move more swiftly, much to my relief.

Every time I tried to write my blog, I had to be reminded of how I felt in Ecuador and so I gave up pretty quickly. But now, after nearly three weeks of good fun in Colombia & Panama I felt ready to write again.  I can't wait to get back to Australia - to see everyone again, proper time, not rushed visits, and to no longer live in a suitcase.  I can't wait to cook in a kitchen, to go vegetable shopping, to drink really good wine again.  I can't wait for time to go quickly so our wedding will finally arrive and I can see some of our mates from the UK again.

So I promise to myself to write more frequently because we're in the home stretch - in less than two months we'll be finished, so I must make the most of every moment, be patient when buses run hours late, when people party in the hostel outside my room on Fri/Sat nights. Because it will be over before I know it.

Lots of love to everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lizzie! Sorry to hear that May has been hard for you, and that you are so homesick for England. I can't wait until you are back in Australia, but I would imagine that after living in England for so long, adjusting to Melbourne might take its time too. Wedding planning must be fun though, and if there is anything that you need help with (given that we are in Melbourne), just let me know! Thinking of you lots, and loving it when you blog! xoxo
    p.s. Bernard looks a bit fierce with a beard!

    ReplyDelete