Friday 13 August 2010

Prelude, meeting Bernard, decision to leave - the long way back

Prelude

When I left Canberra bound for the Americas in March 2005 my mother said to people that I’d fit into the living the UK with such ease that I probably wouldn’t return to live in Australia for a long while, if ever. Five and a half years on, I take comfort that my mother, in all her wisdom, knew me better than I knew myself. I didn’t get asked “when are you coming back” by my parents – and in those brief moments of uncertainty, their unconditional support had a far greater impact then I had ever acknowledged at the time.

Within a few years I had established a thriving career in the public sector, helping organisations to undo a couple of centuries of old habits and red tape. By this stage I knew that only an emotional decision that would lure me back to Australia. My disposable income had never been better and I had significant personal fulfilment from doing something I loved. And despite the grey winters, I was thriving in the English climate, loving the green countryside and the plethora of cultural opportunities on my doorstep in London town and the Continent.

So what would stir such emotion I wondered, and when would that happen? Of course, you all know how the story goes, but there is pleasure in writing it down, so indulge me if you will.

On meeting Bernard


I met an Australian lad in the summer of 2008 who changed my life. A mutual friend from my brief stint at Westminster City Council suggested we meet – after all, two successful Australians who happen to be avid Geelong fans living in Islington really ought to know each other. I thank Lee wholeheartedly for making such an introduction.

After twelve months (and what a milestone) we moved into our flat in Highbury. It took a few months getting used to living in each other’s pockets – me getting used to Bernard’s clutter – and Bernard getting used to me always tidying up his things…at which point we sensed our relationship had a bright future and were looking forward to introducing each other to our family and friends during our visit to Australia in October/November 2009.


On the decision to leave – the long way back

I recall the conversation we had during a quiet moment at Meg and Hamilton’s wedding. Bernard said that the trip home had confirmed for him that he was ready to come home, but was keen for this to be a decision we made together. Though in all honesty I was reluctant to leave the UK, it was also very intoxicating, to not be so far away from so many dear friends and family in Australia. Before too long we had concurred that the second half of 2010 was as good a time as any to think about returning.

At some point, and I don’t know when exactly, Bernard convinced me that we should go the long way back, via Africa, South and Central America. This is something I would never have considered, a few months, yes, but at least nine months, if not more? Such an enterprise could not be entered into lightly. In true Lizzie fashion, I sat down and poured over the figures, deliberating at length. Do I spend part of my house deposit on travelling? Can I afford to do this? I put together a funding strategy, not helped by the ridiculously poor value of Pound Stirling, and after a few months and one very important contract extension, I informed Bernard that I was comfortable leaving the UK in October 2010.
Then my brothers confirmed their plans of visiting us in September and everything fell into place. It was the perfect way to finish our time in the UK. We booked our Africa trip and flights through to Buenos Aires, and left everything else. We have had a glorious summer – sunshine for weeks on end (huge) and a calendar filled with activities. Hen and stag do’s for Jim and Sarah and their glorious wedding in Kew Gardens, Henley (at long last), Greece (seeing the svelte Nobles), Wimbledon, a Test at Lords, as well as lots of theatre, ballet and opera (mostly me, not Bernard).

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lizzie

    Great to read you blog. Keep it coming


    Marj

    ReplyDelete