Friday 13 August 2010

Preparing for travelling

I must say that I enjoy preparing for travelling almost as much as I enjoy travelling itself. There are so many things to plan, lists to make, and consideration in planning what kit one will need for a long backpacking trip. Its incredibly liberating getting back to basics and from a packing perspective, the fact that we are travelling with the summer is great – less bulky clothes and more room for an extra shirt and shorts (and I’m hoping shoes!!!). I have a make-up collection that is down to 5 items (bronzer, Touché Éclat, mascara, eyeliner, eye shadow) and have discovered the joys of Neil’s Yard rather pricey but absolutely scrumptious Rose Balm – it acts as a cleanser, toner, eye-make-up remover, exfoliator and all-purpose moisturiser. One item ladies – just one pot of loveliness will save me buckets whilst keeping my skin happy through Africa.


We have the first few months worked out in some detail. The booking part of the Africa trip is completely paid for. We head off to Kenya on 20 October. We’ll spend Christmas in Cape Town then fly to Buenos Aires on Boxing Day. Our plan is to do a 3 week language course in January. I would love to head down to the Patagonia after that, come back via Chile then head over to Brazil in February (post school holidays but pre-carnival season) but its all a bit of wait and see.


Check out our Africa itinerary at:


www.acacia-africa.com/HolidayDetails.aspx?tc=UAO58&productID=1


So when can people expect us to be back in Australia? So many people have asked and obviously we can’t really give a firm answer. I think it all depends on how we find things on the road for such an extended period, and how quickly we (well, me really) go through our cash. From a logistics point of view end Aug/early Sept 2011 makes sense. Learning from others experiences, finding work can be difficult two months before Christmas, so this will give us a few more months up our sleeve. That, and hopefully we’ll still have enough time to find a suitable wedding venue.


I guess you’ll get a sense of how we are travelling from this blog as we progress. Bernard’s blog will contain a photo for every day on our travels, which means that his will definitely contain more photos than mine, so be sure to visit both blogs.


www.looking-for-bujumbura.blogspot.com

I’ll continue to write about my experiences, doing as best as I can to bring you with us on our forthcoming journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment