Friday 5 November 2010

Moving on - final days of leaving the UK

Its been over two weeks since I left the UK, and I still am overwhelmed by tears when I think about the UK.  Its taken me a few attempts to write this particular blog - I have written pages on the subject matter in my journal. I feel heart-broken.  The sadness I feel is still immense.  However upon reflection it does make sense to me.  I have been in love with the UK for years, a love affair that started well into my high school years.  The Tuesday before we departed the UK was one of the hardest days I've ever experienced.  After a weekend of saying goodbye to friends and work colleagues then saying the final goodbye to Clare and John then the London gang...I simply couldn't cry any more tears without bringing on a serious headache.  Even now I know my response is kind of nonsensical, because I will see (fingers and toes) everyone again in April 2012.  Still, the intensity of what I have been feeling, this ache in my heart has definetely overwhelmed me.



However, its not all doom and gloom, and I wouldn't want you to get the idea that I am pining for London or wishing I wasn't moving back to Australia. But I do feel like I am grieving and that travelling is a beautiful soothing balm cushioning the pain so I can return to Australia with vigor and enthusiasm.

Every day I wake up and explore something new and am reminded of how lucky I am.  The day with the Gorillas was one of those days - I quietly shed a tear when the hour was nearly up - it was just a once-in-a-lifetime experience - I felt awe-struck and so completely happy.  Going tubing down the Nile river was another such experience - all aprehension about going white water rafting has gone after that amazing "introductary" experience to white water.  At Nakuru - Days1&2 of tour I got to see so many animals - Giraffe, Rhino, Impala, Waterbk, Water buffalo, Flamingo, Baboons, Zebras, Falcons, Eagles, Rock Hyrax, Eland, Fuinnea Foul, Vervet Monkeys, Thompson and Grants Gizelles.... Even sitting at camp in the evening around a campfire with my fellow travellers has me sitting quietly with content - I am surrounded by wonderful people, Bernard of course!  I am so proud of being able to say "I'm with that big tall Mzungo" when Africans ask me what I'm doing in Africa.  When we were volunteering for a charity in Jinja I was asked by all the teachers (female) how many boys Bernard and I were going to have when we get back to Australia.  They were of course surprised that Bernard and I were in our thirties - by their reckoning we should have at least 3 or 4 boys by now!!! 

So things are good.  I am thankful for all I have. And I am thankful to be on "holiday".  Travelling, for all its hardships, really can be fantastic fun.

Lots of love to family and friends, and I'll be in touch again when internet permits.  L

1 comment:

  1. Love it Liz, great read. You are having a wonderful time. Keep it up.

    Love,
    Petra and Co

    ReplyDelete