Sunday 19 December 2010

Namibia - landscapes and adrenaline thrills

Departing Etosha we headed to the amazing Skizkoppe for a night of bush camping (no showers or toilets) - perhaps the best place for photographs on tour to date, both Bernard and I marvelled at the landscape at dusk and then the spectacular star gazing once the sun went down. A fellow traveller started playing guitar and I couldn't help but sing along and was amounts the last to go to bed at 11pm - an unprecedented event on tour to date.  The next day we arrived in Swakopmund for a few days of adrenaline seeking adventure.  I signed myself up for skydiving immediately though it was cloudy the weather cleared within an hour and we were all clear to dive later that afternoon.  Skydiving was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.  I squealed with delight on the way down - the sensation of falling out of the plane is addictive - I could seriously do that time and time again.

Later that evening we all went out for dinner and drinks - I of course couldn't wipe the smile off my face.  The next day we had a bit of a lie in, spent time on web getting organised for next phase of travel in South America, then headed out to go quad biking on the sand dunes.  It was an adventure that's for sure.  Its been an age since I was on a motorcycle and I started out a little rusty.  Bernard's speed comfort threshold was particularly low and unfortunately the guide didn't do a good job of catering for him when he should have.  For the first half hour Bernard and I were at the back of the group whilst the other five were in front.  One of the girls out front into a corner too fast and fell down a very steep sand dune and had to be evacuated and taken to hospital.  Bernard returned with the guide very dissatisfied with the whole thing - I thought we were all turning back so i was waiting for the others to go in front, before I realised that actually the rest of us were continuing on the excursion.

At first I was guilty, continuing when I really ought to go back. So there I was, the lone female with the rest of the boys. But then there was little I could do about it so I decided to enjoy every last minute.  I was an absolute hoon going as fast on the dunes as my comfort would allow, and I was very fast and confident on the bike - earning shedloads of respect from the boys. If only Bernard had had such a rewarding time on the bikes as I had and that our fellow traveller Izzy hadn't hurt herself.  Later we found out that Izzy walked away with a punctured lung - that's all - which was lucky given how bad the early prognosis looked.  But upon leaving Swakopmund we were down 2 passengers (Izzy & her mate Karen) which was quite a shame - I enjoyed their company immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment