Thursday 2 December 2010

Zanzibar to Lake Malawi

Zanzibar was just amazing.  We had two wonderful days on the beach and could easily have spent a handful more (though thankfully for our bank balance we didn't).  We went to stone town, did a spice tour and it was fantastic to see the raw products of so many things I use in my cooking on a daily basis.  Seeing the slave market was interesting, but a shame the site isn't being invested in an maintained as a sight of such importance in Zanzibar's history. But it was being in stone town for “Eid al-Adha”   has been a real highlight of my tour thus far.  We were at the night market after having a few drinks during sunset at Africa house when we discovered masses of people dressed up in their brightest and beautiful attire celebrating together in the square. Such a family friendly atmosphere – children were running about, playing and making that wonderful sound that kids make when they are happy.  The colour – the women wore such beautiful attire – I am so disappointed with my photos – so I'll have to make a conscious effort to keep the colours vivid in my memory.  The food was amazing – locals and foreigners eating in droves from the market stalls. I had a Zanzibar pizza and a falafel which were both pretty amazing.  Afterwards Bernard and I retired early to the hotel room and fell asleep whilst watching Kung Fu Panda on his laptop.  It was a pretty blissful day.

The next day we went back to Dar Es Salam in the most impossible humidity I have ever experienced.  The entire bus didn't sleep well that night at all – no relief from the heat in our tents – we were all up before the call to prayer – tired and extremely grumpy.  We drove over twelve hours that day to a farm house half way between Dar & Lake Malawi.  The farm house was a big estate that grew all types of produce.  Bernard and I upgraded and slept a blissful sleep in our hut.  It was the cruelest thing Mark & Lindy have done to us thus far on tour – making us wake up at 5am and leave the comfort of those beds!!!

Yesterday after another relatively long day and a border crossing we arrived at Lake Malawi.  Bernard and I bought a Malawi table.  I found the one I liked and Bernard was responsible for the haggling.  He was at a stalemate with the man for nearly half an hour – Bernard sent me away within three minutes because my haggling technique wasn't good enough!  I slept relatively well last night and we are now at Kande beach and will be here for a few days longer.  My tummy has been (touch wood – a lot of wood) really good this week.  A full week happiness it has been.  My mood is fabulous at the moment.  We're half way into our stay in Africa and I'm feeling good, so its not a bad way to be at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment